"The reich labor service (RAD) is an honorary service to the german people. All young germans of both sexes are obliged to serve their people in the reich labor service. It is supposed to … Above all to educate to the due respect of the manual labor. The reichsarbeitsdienst is intended for the performance of public service work." As stated in the first paragraph of a law passed by the german reichsregierung on 26. June 1935.
The nazi rulers set up a large number of labor camps in franconia, especially in the "underdeveloped areas" were created, for example, in the rhon, at the edge of the fichtelgebirge and in the steigerwald (scheinfeld), in the economically weakly developed west central franconia (gunzenhausen, lichtenau) or in the coarse area nurnberg (moorenbrunn).
On sandy loam
In the region west of erlangen, especially in the seebachgrund, the focus was on flood regulation, because the area between grobenseebach and mohrendorf/kleinseebach, where the seebach flows into the regnitz, was repeatedly hit by flooding. Between the 15. January and the 1. April 1937 the hebdorfer camp was built near today’s sportgeland "auf sandigem lehmboden" built. Until the actual accommodations for the RAD men were completed, the drafted 19 to 25 year olds were housed in the inns in untermembach, hebdorf and hannberg.
On 10. In april the regulation of the seebach began. Even if this work was a priority, the RAD members were repeatedly assigned to other activities: to harvest hay in hebdorf, munchaurach, frauenaurach or kosbach, but also to pluck hops in the spalt area or to harvest grain on the hesselberg and in the area around nurnberg, as well as for the reich party rallies in nurnberg or to set up other camps such as in adelsdorf or even for regulation work on the neckar in the ludwigsburg district.
Many "foreign jobs
Through these "fremdeinsatze the actual regulation work on the seebach was strongly neglected. The result: due to strong floods, the already rehabilitated creek bed silted up again and the boschungen fortified in grobdechsendorf were undercut in places. In spite of all obstacles, by the end of march 1938, about 2150 meters of the new creek bed could be handed over to the building authority. Additional bridges were completed in grobdechsendorf and to the schutzenwehr in hebdorf.
Because the soil was very rich in groundwater, some of the shelters (holzhauser) erected from 1937 onwards were founded on pile grates during the construction of the camp, while the commercial building was placed on a concrete base. The camp consisted of four wooden buildings as well as a driver’s house, an administration building, a chamber house, a toilet house ("aborthaus") and a solidly built pigsty. It had 3200 square meters of garden area, which the "workmen" used for their work edit for self-sufficiency. In the summer of 1937, the camp was given its own sports field.
And because the city garden office of nurnberg and other nurseries of the noris donated 150 rose bushes and 400 shrubs, it also received a friendly exterior.
Sporty and fit as a fiddle
In spite of all the work – mostly with spades and always with muscle power – there were also small pleasures in the camp after the hard daily routine. In the evenings there was handicrafts and singing. Naturally, there was no shortage of sporting activities. The sports field was a tempting place for ball games and other exercises.
At the inauguration of the swimming pool in herzogenaurach in 1937, the "laborers" from first places in all disciplines and the field handball players defeated the club teams from adelsdorf and mohrendorf. The fact that the RAD was also a paramilitary institution is proven by the fact that they drove to the air base in herzogenaurach for shoving operations.
The RAD camp in hebdorf was in close contact with the camp in stangenroth near bad kissingen. Both camps had been given the name "jakob bleyer" received. Bleyer was a university professor of german studies at the universities in budapest and klausenburg. He came from a farming family that lived in the 18th century. The people had emigrated to southeastern europe in the nineteenth century.
Named after jakob bleyer
He was a committed advocate for the approximately 500,000 germans in hungary, expanded the public school system for the german minorities and founded the "sonntagsblatt" newspaper, a german-language newspaper, and the "hungarian-german folk education association. His commitment to germanism and to the germans in hungary made him a hero among the rulers of the time in the reich.
As the war progressed, more and more "workmen" were hired from hebdorf called up for military service. Instead of working with a spade, they now had to prove that the pushes in herzogenaurach were not in vain.
No information could be obtained about the official closure of the camp; the fact is that even before the official end of the war on 8 september, the camp had already been closed. May 1945 refugees and later also displaced persons were accommodated in the hebdorf camp.